- Polkadot Price Analysis: DOT finds support at $24.35 after heavy selloff overnight | Cryptopolitan
- Bitcoin Too Expensive? Look at These 2 Beaten-Down Cryptocurrencies Instead | The Motley Fool
- Crypto Economy Loses Billions in Market Downturn, Bitcoin Price Slips More Than 25% in 30 Days
- Polkadot-based SubDAO pulls out of parachain slot auctions; what gives - AMBCrypto
- Bitcoin Too Expensive? Look at These 2 Beaten-Down Cryptocurrencies Instead | Nasdaq
- The crypto economy lost billions of dollars in the market downturn, and the price of Bitcoin ...
- Polkadot Price Falls By 23.09% Over The Last 12 Hours, Breakout Near $27.55 - Via News
- Bitcoin could 'consolidate until 2022' after mass wipeout sends BTC price to $41K - Cointelegraph
- Polkadot Fluctuates Between $32 and $38 as Buyers Regroup for a Rebound - Coinidol.com
- Style notes: H&M goes bold with sustainable collection, and fashion buys for kids and teens
- Coinbase Cloud is staking $30B worth of crypto assets on platform - Our Bitcoin News
- Parachain on Official Polkadot | Endless bull run for $ DOT - D1SoftballNews.com
- Polkadot, Crypto Predictions: $ 35 Support Test, But New Rally Could Be Close ...
- Cryptocurrencies Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Polkadot and Dogecoin – European Wrap 3 December
- Ankr Price Prediction 2022: Looks Like a Good Long-Term Investment - Market Realist
It has a circulating supply of 913,344,400 DOT coins and the max. supply is not available.
The top exchanges for trading in Polkadot are currently Binance, Huobi Global, OKEx, HBTC, and Hydax Exchange. You can find others listed on our crypto exchanges page.
What Is Polkadot (DOT)?
Polkadot is an open-source sharding multichain protocol that facilitates the cross-chain transfer of any data or asset types, not just tokens, thereby making a wide range of blockchains interoperable with each other.
This interoperability seeks to establish a fully decentralized and private web, controlled by its users, and simplify the creation of new applications, institutions and services.
The Polkadot protocol connects public and private chains, permissionless networks, oracles and future technologies, allowing these independent blockchains to trustlessly share information and transactions through the Polkadot relay chain (explained further down).
Polkadot’s native DOT token serves three clear purposes: providing network governance and operations, and creating parachains (parallel chains) by bonding.
Polkadot has four core components:
- Relay Chain: Polkadot’s “heart,” helping to create consensus, interoperability and shared security across the network of different chains;
- Parachains: independent chains that can have their own tokens and be optimized for specific use cases;
- Parathread: similar to parachains but with flexible connectivity based on an economical pay-as-you-go model;
- Bridges: allows parachains and parathreads to connect and communicate with external blockchains like Ethereum.
Who Are the Founders of Polkadot?
Polkadot was founded by the Web3 Foundation, a Swiss Foundation founded to facilitate a fully functional and user-friendly decentralized web, as an open-source project.
Its founders are Dr. Gavin Wood, Robert Habermeier and Peter Czaban.
Wood, the Web3 Foundation’s president, is the most well-known of the trio thanks to his industry influence as Ethereum co-founder, Parity Technologies founder and the creator of the smart contract coding language Solidity.
Habermeier is a Thiel Fellow and accomplished blockchain and cryptography researcher and developer. Czaban is the Web3 Foundation’s Technology Director. With a wealth of experience across highly specialized fintech industries, he is currently helping to develop a new generation of distributed technology.
What Makes Polkadot Unique?
Polkadot is a sharded multichain network, meaning it can process many transactions on several chains in parallel (“parachains”). This parallel processing power improves scalability.
Custom blockchains are quick and easy to develop through the Substrate framework and can be connected to Polkadot’s network within minutes. The network is also highly flexible and adaptive, allowing the sharing of information and functionality between participants similar to apps on a smartphone. Polkadot can be automatically upgraded without the need for a fork in order to implement new features or remove bugs.
The network has a highly sophisticated user-driven governance system that also helps to secure it. Communities can customize their blockchain’s governance on Polkadot based on their needs and evolving conditions. Nominators, validators, collators and fishermen all fulfil various duties to help secure and maintain the network and eradicate bad behavior.